Spastastic

I'm feeling pretty good about the fact that my life is far from normal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mankato, Minnesota, United States

Monday, March 31, 2008

Freeze, dammit!

The day started with rain that turned over to snow while I was in the kiln room loading pots with Amy (a fellow potter) at MSU.

This was my first time in the kiln room, and I swear to god I have lost several years off my life. The process of loading a kiln goes something like this: place delicate greenware (formed, dried mud)on shelf. Set nine little, 1.5 inch-wide cement pillars of various heights intermingled with delicate pots. Precariously balance three heavy cement shelf sections on top of nine little cement pillars. Repeat process until kiln is filled.

I kept having this reoccuring day-mare (is that a word?) of just one of the cement shelves slipping off its delicate little pillar and, like a domino effect, crushing layer after layer of artwork. Makes me sick just remembering it.

I have been distracted in that class lately. I am getting sick of getting asked out by someone who is taking me being nice for something else. I wish I had the balls to just tell him to leave me alone, but then again, if I had balls, I probably wouldn't be in this situation at all.

I left MSU intending to head to SCC to grade, prep, teach --the normal Monday routine-- when I almost met a Jeep Grand Cherokee head-on in a collison. The driver was coming around a corner too fast, which threw his Jeep into a sideways slide down my lane. It was at that point that I reconsidered having class in a few hours. The sky was a thick gray, there were two inches of snow on the ground on top of slush and potentially ice, and I had heard that they were projecting a possible 8 inches by the end of the day. When these factors are combined with my near- accident, it seems logical to cancel class, which is what I did. Unfortunately, now it is warming up enough to turn everything into slush and the roads look wet but bare.

I am probably the only teacher in the world who has ever canceled class over slush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home